Portugal Golden Visa Program
Portugal is a country in southwestern Europe, bordered by Spain and the Atlantic Ocean. The 92.212 Km2 country has approximately 10.3 Million people and is an EU member state since 1st January 1986. Portugal with fantastic cultural heritage, food and climate is one of the most popular destinations for tourism.
LocationLocated in the continent of Europe, Portugal shares land borders with only one country, Spain.
GovernmentUnitary semi-presidential republic
Time ZoneWET/GMT (UTC) AZOT (UTC−1), Summer (DST) WEST (UTC+1) AZOST (UTC) Note:
Mainland Portugal and Madeira use WET/WEST, the Azores use AZOT/AZOST
Portugal Golden Visa program is one of the very famous golden visa programs in Europe, it was launched in 2012.
- Only 7 days every year required to maintain the residence, dependent children can be included no matter about their ages as long as they are still studying.
- It has to be mentioned that the program has proven a success. This program is fast track tool for the investors to get the fully valid residency in Portugal.
- The program is very open and welcoming to people from all over the world without any limitation to the nationality, religion or culture.
- The only requirement is that the investor has to be more than 18 years old and must not have a criminal record with a sentence more than 1 year.
- Once you get their residency, you can get full access to their quality educational and improved healthcare facilities.
Recently the government waives the requirement to hold permanent residency before applying for citizenship after completing the 5th year.
There are several ways to obtain a residence permit in Portugal (the investment has to be maintained at least 5 years):
- The investor has to buy a real property worth 500,000 Euro or more, or buy a real property more than 30 years old in refurbishing area, worth 350,000 Euro or more
- The investor has to make a capital investment worth 350,000 Euro in research activity or make a capital investment worth 250,000 Euro in reconstruction or refurbishment of national heritage projects or investor make an investment worth 500,000 Euro in Investment fund or venture capital.
- Create minimum of1 0 jobs.
According to the Portuguese law, any person who has a temporary residence permit (for example Golden visa) for at least 5 years is entitled to obtain permanent residency in Portugal. In addition, the Portuguese law also says that any person, who validly resided in Portugal for 5 years, is entitled to apply for Portuguese citizenship. One of the most attractive issues concerning the golden visa program is that the investor does not need to reside in Portugal. As a result, investor obtains the residence permit and Portuguese citizenship without residing in the country. The holder of Golden Visa does not have to pay taxes in Portugal unless he/she stays in Portugal for more than 183 consecutive days. The services of foreigners and borders (SEF) is a competent authority for issuing Golden Visa.
Normally the application needs several months to be processed (up to 6 months).
Why choose Portugal ?
- Opportunity to live, study and work in EU member state
- Amazing culture and history
- Eligibility to include dependent children and parents
- Business friendly atmosphere
- Full family residency
- Visa free travel in EU and Schengen Area
- Opportunity to apply for permanent residence permit after 5 years
- Full access to healthcare and education
- No mandatory requirement to reside in the country
- Very low minimum stays requirements (7 days for the first year and 14 days for the next following two years)
- Can ask for the non-habitual resident status, in order to enjoy low taxes for 10 years
As of 10 July 2018, Portuguese citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 186 Countries.